Merry Christmas from Portugal!
The Fort of São Jorge is located on the coastal highway EN 247, near the Oitavos dunes, in the parish and municipality of Cascais, Lisbon district, Portugal. It was one of a series of forts stretching from the Tower of Belem close to Lisbon to Cabo da Roca. It is now a museum.
The fort was erected during the Portuguese Restoration War with Spain. It was designed as shelter for a small garrison of a corporal, three gunners and 18 soldiers, positioned to prevent landings on the coast between Guincho beach and Guia beach and thus complement the defence of the River Tagus. It permitted crossfire with the Fort of Nossa Senhora da Guia and the Fort of São Brás de Sanxete at Cabo Raso. The fort was constructed under the direction of António Luís de Meneses, 1st Marquis of Marialva.
It was equipped with four cannons, complemented by covered bartizans in the corners and by a covered line for the musketeers.
Although the inscription under the Coat of Arms on the gate specifies the dates of beginning and completion respectively as May 4, 1642 and 1648, scholars believe that a more correct period would have been from 1641 to 1643.